Thursday, October 11, 2007

Happy Birthday to my Husband

First off, happy 25th birthday to my husband. He finally gets another discount on his car insurance! He called his dad last night and apparently his parents couldn't remember if he was going to be 25 or 26...how can you forget what year your only son was born in? But anyway, for his birthday we're going to eat at Pizza Hut, since I hate it and we never eat there. But he loves it. And before you think I'm a mean and horrible wife, I love love love Papa John's, but he hates it, so we never eat it either. We've agreed to compromise on Domino's when it comes to pizza. Except for tonight. And I ordered him a cookie cake because he loves those. Plus I got my parents to get him an ice cream cake, his other favorite, so I covered all the bases (actually I ordered the ice cream cake too, but whatever).

I went to the doctor yesterday for my headaches, and I really liked her. She's a registered nurse, but I made the appt. on Monday and she got me in Wednesday, as opposed to the month wait most other places had. She actually had just been to some seminar or lecture on headaches the night before, so she kept telling me all this stuff. It was pretty cool that she seemed like she knew what she was doing. She put me on Topamax and also gave me Axert for when I do get a headache. So we'll see how that goes. I also had to have a CT scan and being the wuss I am, it was kind of awful. I'm not a fan of being able to feel these weird fluid shooting up your arm. I guess it must be what it feels like to shoot up drugs. The dye made me feel weird, like I couldn't breathe and was going to throw up. And they had asked if I was allergic to shellfish, to which I said no. But I later remembered that I am indeed allergic to some kind of fish (but was it shellfish or whitefish?), so I was worried that I might have an allergic reaction and die. But I didn't. And at least now I can finally rule out having a brain tumor, hopefully. So yay for drugs, even if they might make my extremities tingle (she said to eat bananas, which I think are yucky). She also said women often lose weight on Topamax so that's an added benefit.

Kind of as an aside, or more of a complaint really, I have been swamped at work today. And my student worker complained earlier that she didn't get something finished because she was having to do 2 things at once. Oh my gosh, not 2 things at once...that's awful. I mean, that's like, multi-tasking or something. People shouldn't have to be put through some torture. Seriously, college students today are the laziest people I've ever seen. I really worry that I won't raise my kids to have the work ethic that Nick and I do (and I consider myself to be pretty lazy usually). How do these people make it at a real job?

Last night Nick talked to one of his friends from college. She got married last year. We went to her wedding and she came to ours this summer. Anyway she asked Nick how married life was and he told her good, so then of course he asked her the same. And turns out she's separated from her husband and thinking she's probably going to get a divorce. I cannot believe that people whose weddings Nick and I attended together can actually be getting divorced. Not that Nick and I are like good luck charms that bless weddings or something, but it's so crazy. Crazy that people give up on their marriage after such a short time (but that's their decision, and I obviously have no right to judge, since I have no idea what's going on in the situation), and also crazy that we've been together long enough for people to have married and separated. So I was feeling kind of good about our marriage, you know, because we have our rough spots, but we're nowhere close to breaking up. But I guess it had the opposite effect on him, and he got worried. He wants our marriage to be like Sandy's and Kirsten's on the OC (Sandy called it bulletproof on yesterday's episode...right before he kissed another woman...good role models there). So anyway I feel old and at the same time, way too young to be married and responsible for someone else's happiness. And before I was married I felt like I was ancient. Craziness.

1 comment:

Andrea Benz said...

First of all, Nick watches The OC with you? That's funny. Anyway, I used to take Topamax and Axert. Axert is pretty good most of the time. I actually had like 5 different side effects from the Topamax, so my doctor took me off of it. Hope you have better luck than I did with that one.