Tuesday, March 25, 2008

Wow

I slept 10 hours last night and I'm still exhausted. Driving all night sucks. And I had to drive through the mountains past Chattanooga...at night...and it was snowing! I hate that part of the trip. And why is it snowing in almost April anyway? It snowed here in BG yesterday.

But anyway, despite the long drive, Tampa was awesome. Before this year, I had been to three of our NCAA games, and we had lost all three. But we won both games and we're in the Sweet 16! We play UCLA Thursday, who almost lost to Texas A&M. I know no one is giving us a chance, but then again most people don't know anything about our program. All the papers had headlines like "WKU Shocks Drake"...but really it wasn't that big of an upset. I don't think anyone here thought we were a 12 seed...but winning some of those close games against UT and Gonzaga would have helped the seed. But we finally did win two of those big games, so hopefully that will carry over. I'm not going to Phoenix...I already left Nick home alone a few weeks ago when I went to Mobile, and we were gone for 4 days for Tampa. I would love to see them play again though. But not by myself. And I'm really looking forward to having a few quiet days in the office and at home with my husband. I feel like I haven't been able to just relax in forever. Plus I missed my dogs!

But it's pretty exciting to be in the Sweet 16. I'm a little nervous about Thursday though. The first 2 games I thought we were just better than the other team, but UCLA is pretty good. But the coaches seem pretty relaxed, so hopefully they've got a good game plan. And if somehow we do get past UCLA, we would play the winner of West Virginia vs. Xavier. Obviously they're good, but I think it would be an easier game than UCLA. And then there would be Memphis (assuming they win, which they might not, because they're really not as good as everybody thinks). But anyway, that's getting really ahead of myself. There's a lot of things that have to happen for us to win Thursday. Kevin Love is good, and our strength is not our inside guys. But they have stepped up in the post-season, so if they can be aggressive (without fouling, which is a problem) and our perimter guys are on, I think we're pretty hard to beat. Also, we're going to have to put together a full 40 minute game, with no lapses. We seem to always have a stretch where we break down, and either let the other team come back or bury ourselves.

Also I'm excited about the Tennessee / Louisville game. I'm not a UofL fan, but I think they're pretty good, and I think they'll beat UT (who I want to like since we played them and they barely beat us and it would I guess look better on us the farther they go...but I just can't make myself cheer for them). I think Bruce Pearl is way overrated and I think Rick Pitino will outcoach him. As much as I hate saying that (I very much dislike Pitino). Also, I would love it if someone knocked UNC out. Nick started to make fun of me after Duke lost, but how cool is it that WKU made it farther than Duke? I do like Duke, but usually just so I have someone to cheer for deep in the tournament. And also, if they had kept winning, we could have had to play them after UCLA. So maybe it's a sign.






The best marriages are those where women marry men who are less attractive than themselves, research has found. Psychologists who studied newlyweds found men who were better-looking than their wives were more likely to be unhappy and have negative feelings about their marriage. In couples where the wife is more attractive, both partners tended to be very content. The research, published in the Journal of Family Psychology, suggests that, in evolutionary terms, women are less choosy about their man's looks as long as he is able to help them reproduce. Men, however, are programmed to choose a mate who is most likely to pass on their genes and look for youth, health and physical attractiveness. The tests involved 82 couples married within the previous six months.

No comments: