Friday, February 15, 2008

The Day After

So my Valentine's Day started out nice, and ended up kind of somber. Nick surprised me at work, and then after work by taking me to Olive Garden. Which I love. But the closest one to us is at Rivergate. We had to wait for an hour, our waiter was really rude and on the way back, we got stuck in traffic between Franklin and BG. And my husband, great as he is, is not the most patient person. Also, he doesn't like to stop for gas. I asked him to stop before we left town...no. I asked him to stop in Franklin...no. On the way back, I asked...no. So I thought we'd run out in Franklin. But when we finally passed the construction, you'd think he would stop. No, he thought we could make it home. But right after we passed the Scottsville Road exit at about 9:00pm, we came to a complete stop. And we didn't get home until 12:30am. So we had to sit on the interstate with our car turned off, planning how someone could get gas to us, just in case. That's my husband. But actually, by then, we knew that there had been a really bad wreck, so I wasn't that worried about the gas. But seriously, it kind of bothers me sometimes that my husband is so impatient and gets in such a hurry that he would neglect something like stopping for gas. We ended up having to stop at a Shell station 1/4 of a mile from our house just to make it home (and also because I HAD to use the bathroom!). And then he sped home without his seat belt on. And someone had just died in front of us. So that was awesome. But this morning, he called me and told me that the guy that died worked with him, and he had just talked to him yesterday.

So anyway, life is crazy. If we hadn't gotten stuck in that traffic in Franklin for 30 minutes (we got to the wreck at 9:00, WBKO said the wreck happened at 8:30), we could have been in it. All those stupid things that we get mad about, you never think that sometimes maybe they're blessings. I know God has a plan for everything and everyone, and I know that His plan is good, but that's easy for me to say. I can't even imagine waking up in a hopsital and having to find out that my husband is dead. And then telling my kids that? Assuming that the wife and kids live. We saw the helicopters leave. It took them until after 11:00 just to get them out of the car. Of course, it took an hour for the emergency people to get there. That's quick response. Anyway, it made me realize how much I take my life for granted (and I'm sure most of us do), and also how dangerous interstate travel is! No, mostly just that none of us have any control over our lives, so we really can't do anything except trust God. So, pray for the family and their loved ones. I haven't heard anything else about how they're doing, just that the father didn't survive. WBKO has a really short unupdated story about it on their website.

No comments: