Monday, February 8, 2010

Monday

This weekend flew by. We made a grocery trip Friday night. I've started meal planning, usually for 2 weeks at a time. I'm having a hard time thinking of new meal ideas. I love to try new things, but usually I don't have much time to cook, so it needs to be quick and easy. Last night we had tacos, and I slipped some veggies in! Nick hates eating vegetables, so I'm trying to be creative. Also, I'm trying to use less red meat, which we seem to eat a lot of. I use ground turkey instead of beef, but I need some meet-less meals that he will actually like. I threatened to start using tofurkey, but who am I kidding? Yuck.

Nick and I were able to have a date night Saturday. I love hanging out with him, but honestly, I miss Emma. And we just went to the basketball game, which was fairly boring. I'm pretty disappointed in WKU this year...actually, that's an understatement. They're terrible. I'm hoping for some changes after the season is over, but not counting on it. Duke is ok this year, and South Carolina has been (inconsistently) good as well. I love watching South Carolina on tv. It's so bizarre seeing Coach Horn and the other assistants I know coach somewhere else.

I'm happy the Saints won the Super Bowl. I'm not a big Peyton Manning fan. I get tired of hearing about him all the time. I thought the Colts would run away with it, but was happy for New Orleans. The commercials weren't too impressive. I had been hearing so much about the Focus on the Family commercial, but for all their big talk, they kind of wimped out. It didn't even mention abortion. Which, in my opinion, was a good thing. Fortunately, no one reads my blog, so I won't be starting any controversy with the mostly conservative people I know. Sometimes I wonder how in the world I developed the political ideology that I did, seeing as how I live in this extremely conservative state and am a southern baptist. I read today about a bill our state is seeking to pass which would force women to have an ultrasound prior to an abortion. My first question is, who would pay for that? Me and you, I suppose. I had a hard enough time getting my insurance to cover medically necessary ultrasounds (don't even get me started on the obvious need for healthcare reform...as I type this, we have an insurance claim pending which they claim is for a "pre-existing condition" in order to get out of paying. But obviously there's nothing wrong with healthcare), and now we can apparently afford to provide one to women who don't want or need one. But don't worry...the woman won't be required to watch the ultrasound. I guess she can just cover her eyes. What's the intended outcome? To make a woman either feel even guiltier for the rest of her life for having an abortion, or to actually guilt her out of her decision. In which case, she will have a child she can't afford to provide for. Sure, she could always consider adoption...if she can afford it. I'd much rather pay higher taxes in order to provide maternity coverage to women who have chosen to give their unborn child up for adoption. Anyway, this just reinforces my desire to move out of this state, preferably to Hawaii.

I'm a terrible blogger. I don't think I'm suppose to share my political beliefs. Oh well. We're supposed to get some more snow tonight and tomorrow. I'm sick of the snow this winter. Usually we don't get any, and now this year, it's every week. I'm ready for spring. That's another great thing about Hawaii...the weather. It's always warm, rarely rains, and the weather is consistent, which would be great for my allergies. I cant wait until we're 59 1/2 and can start withdrawing from our Roth's. Hopefully we'll have some money in them by then.

No comments: