Tuesday, July 31, 2007

How much money do you need?

http://www.ajc.com/braves/content/sports/braves/stories/2007/07/30/glavine_0731.html?cxntnid=brv073107e

I can't decide how I feel about this. I loved Tom Glavine. I mean, not like I love Chipper, but Glavine and Smoltz were there in '91 when I started watching. So it's kind of like I grew up with them. I love guys who stay with one team their whole career (say, Chipper...or hopefully Andruw). So I have a hard time understanding why Glavine would go to the Mets. I don't really see a reason, other than money. And it's not like he couldn't retire tomorrow (or five years ago, for that matter) and be set for life (and his kids' lives...and their kids). So if he really cared for the organization and his teammates and the Braves fans, he would have stayed. Maybe that's why they boo him (I didn't when I saw him that next year, but I definitely underdstanded why they did), because we all loved him so much. It's an insult to us. Not only did he leave for more money ($30 million's just not quite enough), he went to the Mets. What did he expect. And yeah, we do react differently to Julio. Julio didn't represent the Braves for almost 15 years. Julio had a goal of playing until he's 50, and he went with the team that offered a multi-year contract. Understandable. I would hope that if the Braves had offered that, he would have stayed, even if the money wasn't quite the same. But now he's back (and honestly, he owes his rejuvenated career to Atlanta) and I would love to see him play until he's 50. In the whole steroid era, it's so cool to see a 48-year old actually work hard to stay in shape the natural way. I love Julio.

But anyway, that's my rant for today. Some good news:
http://www.ajc.com/braves/content/sports/braves/stories/2007/07/30/trade_0730.html?cxntnid=brv073107e
I don't know much about this guy, and I liked Salty, but we've needed a good first baseman for years. Years! Who was the last one we had? Andres Gallaraga? Fred McGriff? I never cared much for Adam LaRoche...Scott Thorman isn't going to cut it. I always wished they had kept Javy and moved him to first. And I love Julio and am sorry that his playing time will drastically decline. But I'm so happy to finally have a first baseman who can hit!

And apparently we're actually talking to the Reds about Arroyo. How awesome would that be? I love John Schuerholtz.

No comments: