Wednesday, April 8, 2009

Easter

I feel like this is the first year that I've really stopped to think about the true meaning of Easter. For most people, it seems like it's about buying new dresses or hats, going to church for one of the few times during the year, eating out afterwards, fixing Easter baskets, and hunting for eggs with kids. I don't know why exactly this year is different; maybe it's because my relationship with Jesus has changed, or that I have the responsibility of teaching a dozen 4 years old about it, or because next year I'll have my own child to explain it to. Obviously Emma won't understand much next year, but it's kind of a daunting task to consider how we're going to talk to her about Jesus' death and resurrection. I know a lot of parents depend on the church to teach their kids, but we only see them for an hour each week. It's so cool to see the kids who have obviously been taught about Jesus at home...they get so much more out of it. I think having a child does make you really stop and think about things differently. Like how to make Eastern more than just bunnies and candy.

No comments: