Tuesday, September 21, 2010

I should've been a pediatrician

I've been doing a lot of research on milk protein allergies and lactose intolerance, trying to figure out which one Emma has.  I'm leaning towards an allergy (apparently there are both rapid and delayed onset allergies, which explains a lot), but she's too young to test, and it doesn't seem that testing for a milk protein allergy is very accurate anyway.  Today I came across this article (gotta love Google) about a possible connection between cow's milk allergies and reflux.  Why am I reading more medical articles than Emma's doctors?  The good thing about an allergy is that most milk allergies are outgrown by kids, while lactose intolerance isn't.  It's difficult trying to keep Emma on a completely dairy-free diet.  Milk of some form or another is in everything!  Pair that with an already picky eater, and it makes for difficult grocery shopping.  Especially since I don't exactly have 3 hours to leisurely stroll through the grocery store, reading every single ingredient.  Who knew kids were so much trouble??  Just kidding...I love my baby (who's not at all a baby anymore), food issues and all.

No comments: