Tuesday, July 7, 2009

Babywise

So, I read Babywise, and am going to give it a try. I've read a lot about how controversial it is, but I think I have enough common sense to implement it appropriately. Yesterday I tried the whole feeding, waketime, nap routine, and she did pretty well. She woke up earlier last night than normal though, so I was pretty tired this morning. Today I was able to put her down for a nap in the nursery...she did cry quite a bit, but finally put herself to sleep. You always hear that you can't spoil a small baby by picking her up when she's crying, but Emma sure seems be getting to that point. She'll fall right asleep if we hold her, but the instant we set her down, she cries. So I was excited that she finally went to sleep on her own...and without the pacifier, which I'm afraid she's becoming a little too dependent on to sleep. We'll see how the Babywise thing goes. I do have her on a semi-schedule for feeding...about every 4 hours. Sometimes that varies depending on her, but it makes it a lot easier to get other things done to at least have a semi-fixed schedule.

She's still constipated, so we're supposed to start her on Miralax (sp?). I'll be so glad when we get all of her stomach issues worked out...she's 7 weeks old tomorrow and she's had to deal with something her whole life, as short as it may be. I look forward to the day when she can just be a happy, healthy baby who can eat and poop without any problems. We've tried a few different times to mix back in breastmilk, but it makes her fussy during her feedings and she spits up more. I'm trying to not feel guilty for having to put her on formula, because I know it's better for her. And I would obvuously much rather breastfeed, but it just doesn't agree with her. I'm still pumping and freezing some milk, so maybe in a month or so, we'll try again to at least supplement. I have definitely learned than I will have to be flexible and take things as they come, as hard as that may be for me.

Tonight we have our first infant massage class. I imagine Emma will scream the whole time, but maybe not. I've heard good things about infant massage. Plus it's free, so what the heck.

No comments: