Monday, January 3, 2011

A New Year

Everyone has been posting about their new year's resolutions and goals.  I'm also kind of hesitant to make resolutions, because let's be honest, I'm not going to actually give up candy or fast food or caffeine for an entire year.  But there are some goals I have for 2011 as well as just some general areas in which I'd like to grow personally.

1.  Bible in 90 Days - Momstoolbox.com is leading this program to read through the entire Bible in 90 days.  It started today.  I've seen this before and thought about it, but I've never known where the time would come from.  I'm still not sure, but I'm enough of a morning person now that I can set apart at least half the time then.  Once I finish this, I'd also like to read through the Message version of the Bible.  I've always read the NIV, so I'd like to read through some different versions. 

2.  Teach Emma - Emma is more than likely going to start a two day a week preschool / Parents Day Out program later this year.  In the meantime, I really want to start structuring our days better so I at least feel like I'm accomplishing something.  I'm going to try to create weekly lesson plans, focusing on letters, numbers, shapes and colors.  This week we're starting with the letter A.  I'm hoping to incorporate books, videos, songs, crafts, activities and whatever else I can come up with.  I'm not a teacher and I'm not very creative, but there's already a lot of resources online for me to build on.  That should take me through almost the whole year. 

3.  Improve my health - I don't usually do the weight loss resolutions, because they never last.  But this year I'd really like to become more active.  I sure wouldn't mind losing a few pounds, but that's not my goal.  I want to be in shape and tone up, and improve my overall health.  Nick and I both need to improve our eating habits, and make an effort to be more active.  It's always harder for me in the winter, because I can't get outside with Emma.  We have considered doing P90X, but it's kind of expensive and a big time commitment.  I'm starting off by doing Jillian Michaels' 30 Day Shred.  If I can stick with it consistently, then I might try P90X. 

4.  Potty Train - This isn't so much my goal as it's a goal for Emma.  We're still making progress but I know well enough not to push her.  She's got my personality (seriously, she's a little me, which is scary sometimes), which means she's stubborn!  But she's really starting to tell us when she has to go.  Today she woke up from her nap to tell me she had to go potty.  And she went.  I'm so excited about taking her to pick out big girl underwear!

5.  Financial - We've been doing really well since we got married at having a budget each month.  However, having a budget and following the budget are not always the same.  Nick and I want to sit down each month for a budget meeting, so we can add any upcoming expenses to it together.  I'm generally the budget person, but I have to do better at including Nick in the process.  Oh and also not going to Target.  That's definitely my biggest budget buster.

No comments: